Disclaimer: Due to the current uncertainty regarding coronavirus, many events are being cancelled or postponed. Please contact the event organiser directly via the contact details on the listing if you are unsure.
Facing Family Violence in Faith Communities (Workshop 1)
Everyone has the right to feel safe and free from violence in their relationships.
About this Event
Workshops for Faith Leaders
In the first of two workshops, you’ll learn about the different types of family violence, the prevalence of family violence in Australia and how you, as a faith leader, can raise awareness of, respond to and work towards preventing family violence in your community. You’ll also be provided with information about how to respond when a person discloses to you that they’re experiencing family violence.
Understanding family violence
• Definition, types, and experiences of family violence
• Impacts of family violence – statistics, individual impacts and organisational impacts
• Myths and attitudes about family violence
• Drivers of family violence – including gender inequality
• How systems and cultures contribute to family violence
Responding to people experiencing family violence
• Barriers to disclosing family violence
• Indicators of family violence
• Responding appropriately to disclosure
• Asking appropriate questions where family violence is suspected
• Referring to specialist agencies
• Ongoing support for people experiencing family violence
Workshop 2 will be held on Thursday 4 March 2021 and Thursday 3 June 2021